More than N100m worth of goods destroyed as fire razes market in Ogbomosho
It was reported that the fire started around 7pm at Akanda market and consumed no less than 30 shops at the market.
Many shops at the Althaoheed market were also affected during the fire incident which occurred Tuesday night at the market.
One of the victims of the inferno at Akande market lamented how the shop owners watched their goods destroyed by the fire as men of the Fire Service failed to come to the rescue.
“Immediately the incident started, calls were put through to them but there was no positive response based on logistic. If they had come earlier, the damages wouldn’t be this much”, he said.
A member of the state House of Assembly, representing Ogbomoso South, Barrister Solomon Akande who visited the market Wednesday morning however described the incident as shocking.
Akande said he was sad that such tragic incident happened at this moment when people were managing resources.
Hon. Bimbo Oladeji, member of the State House of Assembly representing Ogbomoso North, has appealed to the state government to swing into action and come to the aid of the affected traders.
Oladeji said “I was shocked and sad about the fire incident at Akande and Althaoheed markets.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the market men and women.
“We appeal to the Oyo State Government to come to the aid of the affected traders”.